KEP's T2 .21 Presentation
KEP's T2 .21 Freebie
KEP's T2 .21 Build Series #1
KEP's T2 .21 Build Series #2
KEP's T2 .21 Build Series #3
KEP's T2 .21 "Inspirational" Article
KEP's T2 .21 Build Series #4
KEP's T2 .21 Build Series #5
KEP's T2 .21 Build Series #6
KEP's T2 .21 Build Series #7
KEP's T2 .21 Build Series #8
KEP's T2 .21 Build Series #9
KEP's T2 .21 Build Series #10
KEP's T2 .21 Build Series #11
KEP's T2 .21 Build Series #12
Now it's time for paint and clear coat. This can be quite daunting and it needs a bit of an investment in equipment but if you like this hobby I think its worth it! :)
You can do this of course in several different ways but I can only describe how I do it. You need to decide what products to use and learn how to do it yourself. The products I use I can really recommend. So if you can get hold of them you at least have a very good base. :)
- A good air compressor with a tank. I use an super-silent professional Italian made airbrush compressor from Sil-Air (30/6) as I painted A L O T of RC car bodies back in the 90's. A good external airfilter and adjustable airflow/pressure of course.
- An airgun. I use an Italian made one from AsturoMec that is called ES. It has an 0.7 mm nozzle/needle and I paint everything from sanding primer to clear coat with it. But I would'nt recommend it for painting off-shore boats etc as the 0.7 mm nozzle is too small for that bigger coverage. But for riggers it's perfect size. Ive had mine for many years now (10-15) and it has never failed.
- Good masking tape.
- Sharp hobby knife.
- Tag Rags (sticky cloths that you use before paint to remove dust).
- Denatured alcohol to clean the parts before masking.
- Laquer thinner to clean the airgun with.
- I mainly use the House of Kolor brand. That's a custom brand that have many different colors and base coats. I buy it HERE.
- House of Kolor #KS-10Q Ko-Seal II White Base Coat with KU150HP Catalyst & RU310 Thinner. That's used where any Neon color will be painted.
- House of Kolor #KS-12Q Ko-Seal II Silver Base Coat with KU150HP Catalyst & RU310 Thinner. That's used where candy will be painted.
- As we race our boats most of us use some sort of Neon. I have used Neon Orange, Neon Magenta on my riggers but this time I will paint my own boats in Neon Violette (purple) and a test pair of sponsons and matching cowl in Candy Tangerine. I will paint Sunken's boat Neon Orange and Mattias new 21 in Neon Pink. All by House of Kolor.
- I use a 2K clear coat from Sikkens that is called Autoclear Plus HS - I like that a lot.
Everything except my ride-pads and ski's is covered with 3 coats of this clear coat.
I mixed up some 0.7L of Sikkens 2K clear coat and started to clear everything... Most parts got 3 coats but some was enough with two coats. You should not use more then 3 coats.
The airgun is cleaned for the last time carefully and everything left over night to set. Minimum 24 hours.
Next time I start the assembly!